Special Award for Most Nurturing Environment
The Student of the Year – Special Award for Most Nurturing Environment is presented to a school that has provided notable support and encouragement to help students with different talents realise their potential and have the chance to excel. This could be in academic subjects, in extracurricular activities, by paving the way to tertiary education or sought-after careers, or perhaps by opening up new possibilities for youngsters unsure which direction to take.
Theme for SOTY 2021/22
Providing a great education for students is a mission which has many different dimensions. In a turbulent year like 2020, schools had to bear a greater than usual responsibility in providing a responsive learning environment in and outside the classroom, so that students could receive uninterrupted support.
Recognising that, the theme for this year’s Special Award is togetherness. The judges will be looking for instances of team building, collaboration and outreach which have had a clearly discernible impact. The Award will go to a school, together with its students, which has shown significant involvement and notable achievements in these areas. The characteristics looked for in a nurturing school should also have enabled students to realise their potential and understand they have an important part to play in building a stronger, more caring community.
1. Support and inspiration for students and the community - 85%
2. Clear mission and a concrete plan for the future - 15%
Support and inspiration for students and the community
- The practical support, encouragement and assistance the school has offered to students and the wider community to achieve common goals.
- How the school’s policies and programmes have inspired and empowered students during the past year to use their knowledge and talents to support others.
- The positive outcomes and notable achievements the school and students have accomplished together during the past year.
Clear mission and a concrete plan for the future
Ongoing plans the school and students have in terms of providing additional support and guidance in the learning environment and the wider community.
How to enter
Any nominee for the Award must be a registered secondary school in Hong Kong. Schools are required to submit the following to complete the nomination process:
- A written essay in either English (max. 800 words) or Chinese (max. 1,000 characters) or a video presentation (max. 5 mins).
- Proof of any awards and other forms of recognition, including media interviews and photos, received during the 2020/21 academic year.
The nomination period runs from 15 February, 2022 to 31 March, 2022. *New* Nomination deadline has been further extended to 13 May, 2022.
The winning school will be selected by our advisory board members and, subsequently, will be announced and receive their prize at the Awards Ceremony in July 2022.