Principals and deans of secondary schools can nominate a maximum of two students per school for each category. The only exception is for the Linguist category, where a school can nominate a maximum of six students – two each for English, Putonghua and Cantonese. Non-school nominated and self-nominated students are counted separately.
Executives and educators from non-school organisations, including non-profit organisations, youth associations, multinational companies, universities and institutions can nominate candidates. These nominations must be submitted together with an endorsement from schools and nominators.
Students and members of the general public who see the potential in themselves or outstanding values in others can nominate candidates. These nominations must be submitted together with an endorsement from schools and nominators.
The same assessment criteria will be used for all nomination channels and in line with category specifications. All the requested materials should be submitted together with the application form at the time a student is nominated.
Students in Form 4 to 6, or Grade/ Year 10 to 13, in government registered secondary schools in Hong Kong during the 2022/2023 academic year are eligible for nomination. For the school nomination, a maximum of two nominees per category. Nominees can be put forward for a maximum of two Award categories, one of which must be the Grand Prize.
Nominations must be submitted online on or before 28 May 2023. Late submission or nomination via fax or other digital formats will not be accepted or processed. Only the first submission or nomination will be accepted if multiple submissions or nominations of a student are received.
The nomination period runs from 20 April to 28 May, 2023.
- A certificate of appreciation will be issued by the South China Morning Post to all nominated students who have successfully registered in the Awards.
- The winner of the Student of the Year - Grand Prize will receive a HK$25,000 scholarship. There will also be a HK$8,000 scholarship for the 1st Runner-up and one of HK$4,000 for the 2nd Runner-up in this category.
- Winners of the six categories – Sportsperson, Performing Artist, Visual Artist, Community Contributor, Linguist and Scientist & Mathematician - will each receive a HK$10,000 scholarship. The 1st and 2nd Runner-Up in each category will also receive scholarships to the value of HK$4,000 and HK$2,000 respectively.
- Winners for Best Improvement and Best Devotion to School (five students in each category) will each receive a HK$5,000 scholarship.
- All the winners will be announced at the Student of the Year Awards luncheon in July 2023.
- Read the full Scholarships and Acceptance of Applications